Once upon a time there was a little (young) girl who had three beautiful, crazy, loud, energetic, hyper, dramatic boys and for some reason she wanted another one. We'll call this young girl Sally to protect her identity. Sally had an IUD put in after her youngest son Harris was born. For those who don't know what an IUD is and dad, its not DUI, it is a device they put in place in your girly parts to protect from conception. This IUD could be left in for up to 7 years or until I, er, Sally would be ready to get it removed.
This started in December when Sally went to get the IUD removed and the doctor could "barely" feel the strings but couldn't get it so he said I would have to go to out patient and have it removed. No worries except the procedure to that was really, really expensive and Sally and her husband....ah....Bruce, didn't have that kind of money so they waited for about a month. January rolls around and Sally goes back in for her yearly check up and asks the doctor to try to find it one more time and he tried but said he needed the scope to see where it was. Sally and Bruce decided to make the appointment for Thursday to have it removed. They went in, doctor went in with the scope and...................... Ah, oh, where is the IUD? Two things could have happened, it either fell out, which out of the 10,000 IUD her doctor has put in this has only happend 4 times and the women noticed OR it went through her uterine wall and was hanging out somewhere it shouldn't which he has only seen happen twice. Pretty crappy odds if you ask me. Poor Sally. They sent her to get a CT right away and there it was, in her abdomine not doing its job. They also found a sist that was a bit large on one of her ovaries so they scheduled surgery for the next day.
The surgery went well, she was knocked out, intibated and all and drugged up. Here is the IUD on some fatty tissue (fatty tissue...surprise, surprise). They also went in for the sist and it was huge, about the size of an orange. The first picture is of the sist itself and then the other four are of it being drained and then gone. It was not cancerous which Sally was very happy about it. She has three incisions and brusing around the belly. They sent her home that night and thought they were done.
Well Sally could not pee, I know, it's gross but she could not go on her own and it was starting to be uncomfortable. She was sent to the emergency room where it had been close to 24 hours since she was able to empty out her bladder and they drained 1 LITER!!! Sent her home and thought great....but think again, she still couldn't go on her own 10 hours later so they went ack to the ER and they went her home with a catheter. You know the kind, the bag that straps to your leg and then all of a sudden its a leg warmer and you know you've gone pee...thats it.
The ending of the story is near, don't worry, I know you're running out of chips and shake. The catheter was taken out yesterday morning and she can go on her own!!! Bruce heard her going and ran in with a sucker and told her how proud he was that should went on the potty...smart alleck!
Sally is very tired and is on three different kinds of meds that make her loopy and sleepy. She can't pick anything up or do much house work but for her is a plus. Feel free to send Sally Chocolates or gummy worms, she would appreciate it! :) Just thought I'd give everyone an update on my dear friend. What women have to go through...its just not fair sometimes.
9 comments:
Oh Shannon! You and I should be neighbors, lying on the couch together while our husbands make fun of us and our children enjoy unsupervised freedom! We would be such good company right now! Get better soon! I am feeling your pain! oops, I mean, Sally's pain!
On man! That stinks! I'm glad they were able to find it and that things ended up okay. (gotta love husbands that think they are clever, lol)
Hope you are feeling better soon.
That is the strangest thing ever, I hope you are feeling better. Thanks for the cool pictures, it must be the profession I am in!
I am so sorry! I had heard the story up until the IUD was "stuck" but nothing more. What can I do for you? Do you guys need some dinner cooked? Or cookies? Or a babysitter? Or a play date? Seriously-let me know how I can help!
OH girl I feel awful my munchkins kept you up the night before. We'll keep praying for a speedy recovery for Sally and no consequences. Receive a big hug!
Wow Shannon that is crazy! I had an IUD and would always hear the horror stories. Mine when in and out with no problems so I guess I am lucky. I am glad that everything ended up being ok and that you are resting up. Wish I was closer to come and help out. I'm sure you have great people there to help out. Including your very sensitive husband! :)
Oh my gosh, Shan, what an experience!!! I'm so glad to hear that things are going better for you now. I'm also WAY excited to hear that you guys are trying for another little one!!!!!!! You guys just make such cute babies! I hope you get lots of rest and recover quickly. Take it easy!!
WE HAD NO IDEA THAT ALL THIS WAS GOING ON I HOPE THAT YOU ARE FEELING BETTER SOON. IF YOU NEED ME TO SEND YOU SOMETHING I WOULD BE REALLY HAPPY TO DO IT FOR YOU.
Poor Poor Sally! I read your post in spite of the fact that I have stomach flu right now (Not for Weak Stomachs!). Poor girl! I hope you can recover well. As soon as I am back on my feet I'll call to see what I can do!
Post a Comment