Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Soooooo frustrating.

Max is a sweet boy but boy is he frustrating.
He has been wanting to play tennis so we signed him up for some lessons...group lessons.
We even signed him up at a tennis club.
I can't stay with him the entire hour because Harry won't stay put, Bennett would try to join the class and Max just can't focus if we're there.
I'm probably the only mother who drops their kid off. The others come with their lawn chairs and sun hats and tennis skirts.
Today was just like the other 7 days that we've done this. But when I went to pick him up the coach announced in front of everyone how defiant Max was today. That he stormed off the court and then when the coach took his racket away he tried to get it back. Some other mother had to run after him because he was in the parking lot throwing a 2 year old fit.
Talk about embarassing.
We have discussed (mostly I've just typed) how much Max hates attention. And when he does get embarassed he actually acts out. I told the coach on a couple of occasssions when he would try to talk with him or tease around with him in front of the other kids that he doesn't like attention. Not sure what the coach thought I meant. How hard is it to understand that the kid doesn't want attention.
I was soooo mad at Max when I picked him up. The coach didn't even say anything as we left - early I might add. When I got there and the coach announced what had happened Max started to tear up and then ran off the court.
I wasn't going to chase him or follow him. I don't condone at all the way he acts most times so I just told him that I was leaving and I grabbed his racked and walked off the opposite side of the courts. I thanked the mother who helped him on the way out.
I'm not sure how to get Max to understand that when someone corrects you in front of others you don't need to throw a 2 year old fit. Then he gets angry and trys to get back at you - its like hes out of control. He accidentally hit someone with a racket while they were waiting in line. No big deal but it turned into a huge one within 3 minutes.
Max wants to do tennis again in the fall but its really expensive and I can't justify paying that sort of money if he is going to act the way that he does. Hes actually pretty good but I cannot get his anxiety under control.
Thats it, thats my frustration. Marc will be oh so happy I didn't bother him with a phone call this morning, instead I posted my feelings for the entire world to read.

3 comments:

Heather Davies said...

Oh Shannon, I'm sorry! I can understand how Max would feel being humiliated in front of a group of his peers. It's unfortunate that the tennis instructor didn't handle it a little differently.
I'm sure Max will learn a different way of dealing with his frustrations in the future, but unfortunately for you as the parent you have to be along for the roller coaster ride until he can learn how to cope.
Well, I guess my point is--I'm sorry you had to go through that--THAT SUCKS! :) Hang in there--you're an awesome mom! (You kept your cool while you were there--kudos to you).

Melby Madness said...

Max is a healthy little boy and it sounds like your tennis instructor needs some lessons on child developement and possitive reinforment. I think you should find another instructor and build on Max's strengths and interests, he wants to play a game and just needs to learn to control the emotions--this is a life lesson we all have to work at sometimes. He's awesome--don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Melby said...

Aww Shannon I wish I was there to babysit for you! As soon as i get back I'll watch Bennett and Harris and you can take Max!

Oliver - 3 weeks

Oliver - 3 weeks

Harris - 3

Harris - 3

Max - 6

Max - 6

Bennett - 7

Bennett - 7
 

Robinson Family | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates