Saturday, February 13, 2010

Home updates

We transformed the downstairs bedroom, which used to be Brittany's, into Bennett and Max' room. I have to say that it is probably the coolest room. I love the feel of it. Its so fun, I love the space. So here it is, almost completely finished. The picture above shows their fold down table. I love this idea because the room isn't big enough to have a table set up all the time, plus it would collect their "stuff" on it so this way it is down when its not being used and up when they want to build legos or write, or whatever else they want to do. The paintings that I did are the coordinates of where they were born. Boise and Rexburg, ID coordinates. I painted it to look like army stencil of sorts. The only thing I think is missing is an old school map on that wall. What do you think? I like the paintings but I feel like its missing something and I think adding something else, like another painting or picture would be too busy so I thought if I could find an older map of either the world or US that took up most of that wall it would look cool. Not sure where to find one though....hmmm....anyway.
I didn't want to lose more wall space by putting in a closet door (we couldn't put in a sliding door here) so I just made a curtain. This is material I bought at IKEA a year ago and wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it. See, it does pay to buy material even when you don't know what you're going to do with it. The dresser was a piece I found on the side of the road. Super sturdy, made of wood. I sanded it down, fixed a couple of drawers, painted it and put on new handles. Oh, the cool blue chair is from IKEA as well.
These bookcases are from IKEA too. I love the way they fit in the room perfectly. The top is for the lego sets that Bennett works so hard on and seem to get broken by other little kids so now, hopefully anyway, they will stay safe. The bottom part is for their cool picture that I made (scroll down to see) and their books and Bennett's MP3 player and speakers.
I made these pillows for the boys. I found the material on line and the guitars was sort of the inspiration if you will for the room. I liked the "groovy" modern, yet kid feel. Not sure if I accomplished that, but hey, I tried.
Marc made the bed and ladder. The wood actually matches the bookcases so it all looks like it was meant to go together. I found this small dresser at IKEA that was the type of wood that needed to be finished so I painted it the same color as their other dresser. The only thing left to do is to make a built in shelf up on Max's bed. There is about 11 inches between the bed and the wall so we thought it would be cool to have something up there for him. More pictures on home updates if you scroll down.

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

Wow! You have been busy! It looks so good, I love the color of the walls!

Oliver - 3 weeks

Oliver - 3 weeks

Harris - 3

Harris - 3

Max - 6

Max - 6

Bennett - 7

Bennett - 7
 

Robinson Family | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates