Friday, April 01, 2011

Am I crazy? (please don't answer that honestly)



These are some pictures from my sewing room. Isn't this cabinet just gorgeous? My mom was going to get rid of it but I quickly snatched it before Britt could get her hands on it. I know, I'm super selfish. I'm being told that quite a bit lately.....but that is for another post.


I have been inspired to photograph my sewing room. I love this room, it makes me happy. Fabric makes me happy. The thing I love most about fabric is picking it out and bringing it home and stacking it and just looking at it. Honestly, thats my favorite part. Sure I enjoy making things but just being able to look at it....it does something for me. Crazy, right.


Here is where it gets crazier. I have been thinking, dreaming, researching about opening up a fabric shop. For years I have wanted to do this but didn't think much past the thought of, "in a dream world, I...", but when we were up in Chicago I went into the coolest fabric store I have ever been into. We're not talking about your grandma's fabric shop, or even a country style, cutsie type shop. I'm talking super modern, hip, fun fabric shop. Ever since then I've been dreaming. Well...more then dreaming, but I just can't stop thinking about it. St. Louis has nothing like that here. There isn't one fabric shop that isn't a big chain like JoAnn's or Hancocks (both of which I dispise). I take that back, there is one but they market more towards older ages. No one thinkins at all to market toward the 20/30/40 year olds. At least they don't yet but I'm sure once their population of consumers dies out they may rethinking their marketing plan. In the mean time I'm banking on their lack of interested in young sewers, makes a perfect opportunity to open a business.


Marc is more then encouraging. He really wants me to do it. I've met with some business owners, got my hands on some business plans, called on some spaces to rent, etc. But I'm just not sure if I can do it. I mean, I love fabric - which may be my downfall, there is a potential that I may love it too much. I want to be mom. I love my kids but anyone who knows my kids knows how busy and how much energy they have. Today I realized that there isn't just one way to get through life. There isn't just one way to be a wife, or one way to be a mother and raise children. There are a lot of good options - you just need to figure out which one works best for everyone in your family.


Not that I'm asking permission from anyone out there - because I' not - but any thoughts on having my own business. I haven't kidded myself in thinking this wouldn't take a ton of work...I know it will, but I think in a year it will be easier to manage. I would hire an assistant to take care of all the "not fun" stuff that I don't want to do. Marc is in a great position to kind of work his hours to be of more help. I have decided to dig into it. I'm going to put together the most amazing business plan and portfolio and then go shopping for investors. We'll see at that point where it gets me but I just like to know peoples thoughts.


I will post more pictures from my sewing room soon.

9 comments:

Heather said...

I am so excited for you! That sounds like a great idea. I think especially right now that there would be a market for it. The workers at the Joanns out here in Cincy are always crusty and mean. I'm ready for something different. :) Good luck, Shannon

wendy holt said...

OF COURSE you can and should do it! Sewing is so trendy and popular right now and if you don't do it. SOMEONE ELSE WILL! Go for it!

Bobbi said...

I think you would do awesome with something like that! It takes so much courage to take that first plunge. I say go for it!

THE NOTHUM'S said...

sis you can do it!! i can help you in about 4 weeks, we can brain storm all day, and then ill be part owner with you :)

Chelsea said...

Love the room and the idea!

Hannah said...

I know the feeling. For me, I'm starting slow and small just so I can see how my family adjusts to me being busy with my business. But you've got something that I don't - a husband who can help - and that's HUGE!

How exciting to be fulfilling a dream! Good luck!! I know that whatever you do will be amazing.

Anonymous said...

Like Teddy Roosevelt said " Believe you can and you are half way there." When's the grand opening. I'll save my pennies to come to that.

Maddy

Nicole said...

We don't officially know each other - I think you might be friends with my sister, Melissa? Anyway. If I lived anywhere but Utah I would have the same dream of opening an awesome, modern fabric store. If you don't know about Material Girls Quilts, look that up. They are always doing fun things that make people want to sew (and spend money on fabric). I think they could improve on their website, but it's pretty good too. The younger crowd likes to look things up online first, right? Good luck! I would totally visit your store when I come to St. Louis. :)

Splendorfalls said...

Oh PLEASE open a quilt store in STL! Please please pretty please? I've been dreaming of a place like the one you've described and know many folks who feel the same! Gah!

Oliver - 3 weeks

Oliver - 3 weeks

Harris - 3

Harris - 3

Max - 6

Max - 6

Bennett - 7

Bennett - 7
 

Robinson Family | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates